Welcome to my Blog!

Welcome to my blog! My name is Lysandra I am the luckiest person I know. I live and work on the windward side of beautiful Oahu, Hawaii. I love what I do. I have a terrific family that appreciates my innate need to re-create the beauty around me in photographs. My clients and their most joyful, real moments are the primary source of that beauty - and our gorgeous Oahu scenery is the perfect backdrop. My style has been described as lush, romantic, vibrant, natural, relaxed, and carefree.

Although I am based on the windward side of Oahu, I love to travel! Just ask about service across Oahu, to the outer islands, or to the mainland.

I am a proud volunteer for Operation Love ReUnited, which serves our deployed military service members and their families. I believe in giving them something to which they can hold on, during a time of letting go. I am also a member of HeArts Speaks, which connects photographers with animal rescues.


Please contact me at lysandra@lysandracookphotography.com
(808) 741-9429

header


Newsletter

Thursday, February 23, 2012

What to Wear: Lysandra Cook Oahu Family Photography

With every session I offer a free consultation, either in person, on the phone, or via email. Without fail every consultation I am asked "what should we wear?"

In general I suggest you wear something you feel amazing in because that really shows in the photographs. Here are some more specific suggestions:

1. Show your personality! You are more than just khaki pants and a white dress shirt show it! If orange is your favorite color, wear orange. Like stripes? Great! Bring them with you. Simple patterns and bold colors look great on in person AND in photos. Choosing a bold color that is similar to your eye color is an awesome choice too. Choose clothing and locations to suit your style.

This family rocked it out matching their clothing to the location and style of the shoot they were after.
Lanikai Baby 2

2. Add LAYERS and TEXTURE. Think scarves, hats, jackets, blazers, ties, denim, knits and corduroy. Long sleeves under short sleeves, leggings under skirts/dresses. Fun shoes like tall boots or sassy heels. A variety of textures will give your photos some extra punch to go with your great smile.

3. Be a head turner. Wear that top that fits just right. Or that dress that makes you feel like a million bucks. It is a fact; clothes that make you feel good make you LOOK good. If you have the option, why not wear something that makes you want to smile?

4. Avoid logos, bold patterns and character-wear. Leave Dora and Diego at home. Character-wear and logos may be precious in person but will leave you clueless in twenty years when you look back on your photos and try to figure out who that is on your shoes. Keep it timeless and focused on your faces, not your clothes.

5. Along the same lines, pick clothing that fits nicely. It should be neither too tight nor too loose. The clothes should hang on the bodies well, without folding or creasing. If you want the focus on your beautiful face don't skimp on the clothing.

6. Dress for full-length shots, which means socks and shoes that also match and are in good shape. For beach sessions I think barefoot is best.

7. Dress for the location we are shooting. Beach sessions are casual, fun, romantic, not stiff and stuffy. The light is soft and beautiful and we want colors that are enhanced by the lovely light and do not fight against it.

8. Coordination is the name of the game for family shoots. Don't wear a uniform but do coordinate the color palette and style. Please don't mix board shorts with ballgowns (unless that style expresses your inner freak).


This wonderful family came to me and agreed to show you an example of what to wear and what not to wear.

Leave a comment and tell me something great about their styling for this shot and you may be picked to win a free $50 print credit for your next session (1 random winner selected 3/15/12)

what to wear


Here is a shot of things to avoid.
what not to wear

12 comments:

fuquinay said...

HAHAHAA--what a cool family. I love the What Not To Wear shot.

Lynda Coulson said...

I love how individually they all look great, and together they are well coordinated without being all matchy. Fabulous work!

Melissa Klein said...

Great tips! And I love the what to do and what NOT to do comparison. :)

Robbie said...

Love this post! Great tips and the 'what not to wear' image cracks me up!

Katherine Durham said...

Fabulous guide and I love the examples of what to wear along with what NOT to wear! And that baby butt! I just want to pinch it!

Joan said...

Love your beautiful lighting in the first two. And what a perfect example of what not to wear in that last one!

Christie Hobson said...

Great post! I love the colors they went with in the Do-Wear photo!

Shawna Shenette said...

Super cute and cool family!

Amy said...

Great post and info! Love that first shot - so cute!!

Kori said...

These are great tips and examples! I may need to redirect some people to this post!

Jackie said...

These are awesome, thanks for sharing!

5mays steph said...

Fabulous post, love all of the colors, and who can resist a nakey baby bottom?! Too cute!